Friday, February 17, 2017

Kitchen Dining Curtains

Kitchen Dining Curtains


I made some curtains for our kitchen/dining area this weekend. I know some of you were against it, but I liked the idea, and did it anyway :) Some people had said it would be weird to have curtains on just this one area. Our house, however, is a pretty open floor plan, and so you cant do the same curtains on every single window and I thought the idea of doing them on this big picture window was a-ok! So I did it. I selected a pretty creamy ikat with gray, orange and turquoise in the print. The orange corresponds with our kitchen barstools and the orange and turquoise combo has always been a favorite of mine. 

I like that the print isnt too large, so its not too demanding of your eye. That will hopefully help me to hold off in changing it anytime soon. But, I made these myself, so if the mood does strike me to change in a year or so, its not a big deal because it wasnt too pricey. 


I did my old tried and true method of ironing the edges under, then hot gluing. To attach them to the curtain rings ( I bought the rod and rings at ikea. the rod was $5 and extends to 150". Our window is very long - something like 120"), I ended up doing a method I saw Sherry do at Young House Love do. Clip the little clips that attach to the rings on to the back of the panel, and it helps give a more pinched look at the top, rather than just clipping them to the top of the curtain. Way less "DIY" looking!

heres what mine looked like on the inside:

 photo 27B0067C-1AA5-4E10-9D39-2BC1FDDFF2C2_zpsfbnl6mm3.jpg

I wasnt sure if I was doing the right thing or not, so I just tried it out and it worked. I think they look great. I didnt think the little teeth on the clips would hold the heavy fabric, but they actually barely would even come out when I was trying to reposition the clip. Those things are grippy!

 photo 650487EF-C593-4C4B-B707-767356E71034_zpsqpplewrc.jpg

 photo E224F6BE-6626-45F1-80F9-49EA080A346C_zpszwkciexc.jpg


 photo D875E4A7-3527-4471-94A1-1DD432E77CF2_zpsikjonwtm.jpg


see how they match the barstools on the other side of the kitchen?
 photo 7AA2A9DC-F061-4A27-9798-A0261F2785B6_zpslhkaon8r.jpg


 photo DAA7F885-8308-489C-BD0E-4152492E0394_zps1h2ruoeg.jpg
other side. I forgot to buy the end cap things for the poles. Will get them next time Im at IKEA. Not in a hurry to go back to that place. I had about a thousand things on my to do list this weekend ,and when I went to IKEA on Saturday (obvious mistake to go on a weekend, but I didnt have time during the week), I had to wait in line for literally 30 minutes to check out. Awesome!

the cute little wicker cabinet I found at Goodwill is also in here now. I still havent painted it- its only primed. It might stay primed forever. Haha. I think it would be cute to paint it a color though... hmmm, what color?!

 photo 429EDB8C-CAE2-4ABC-B466-421126A29EBB_zpsx2j2wjkw.jpg

I think it looks pretty good right there. Im not one for things being catty cornered like that, generally, but I think it works ok in this space. I like seeing my cute little napkins/glasses/bowls displayed, and I know ill have fun changing them out regularly. Plus, I can hold a lot of stuff in this thing! 


this is the latest sofa table (which is currently living in the dining room) incarnation:
 photo E9A3CBCB-E4AD-426A-92C1-58E2040B0B77_zps8iqekkoo.jpg

springy. jordan said I was being fancy. This setup changes weekly. I took down the art - not sure what will go over the sofa table. I might do another painting when I get some free time. going on vacation next week, so maybe Ill do something then. 


anyway - the curtains are definitely an exciting upgrade Ive been meaning to tackle. Glad I finally did.








Available link for download