Saturday, April 22, 2017

Kodas European Adventure

Kodas European Adventure


Pa ha ha ha! I just got a Call For Papers in my mailbox, and I actually read it because I suddenly have twice as much travel money as Ive ever had in my whole career. (Tragic stories omitted.) But these European CFPs crack me up. They are like: Were having a conference. Theres no topic. Your fee covers sherry, tea and cookies. There will be a starlight cruise. Send your paper to Fred.

Dont get me wrong, I like the idea of a shipboard panel under the stars (though I may have overstated their plans) and I often find long meals and big breaks more rewarding than endless panels, but I dont understand how to interpret the CFP or how to compare one European conference to another. If I knew "Fred" or if I had the guest list, I might see this differently, but no. Instead, they read as though all I need to know is what kind of amenities will be provided. Is it possible that the amenities really do offer the necessary clues and I just dont have the secret decoder ring--like Hegelians drink port and real men dont eat cookies?

Available link for download